Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Poetry for Sanity's Sake

In the last year, I have begun writing poetry as a refuge. I have loved staying at home with my two beautiful children (most days), but I needed something to challenge me intellectually. Teaching part time at SFA has helped. I find the hours I spend away from my children help me to appreciate them even more. Also, the one or two hours I find to write every day I feel has quite literally kept me sane in the past year. Writing is a mode for venting my frustration as well as a language for expressing the deepest joys of my life.

W. H. Auden once wrote that poetry is the clear expression of mixed emotions. I have a lot of mixed emotions about being a stay-at-home mom. Many of my poems address motherhood and the pendulum of emotional experience it entails. Lately, I have tried to branch out more with poems about friends, social issues, other works of literature. I am still learning.

I am starting this blog as a place to put links to my published poetry for those who are interested. I would love to hear your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment